Tuesday 6 May 2008

Revolution...

...Sundays have never been the most eventful of days and most likely never will be.
I always seem to find myself slipping in to a moderate depression when it hits four pm and the shops start to close their doors, this process has always seemed to interpret itself as a 'this is the end of the world' saga. Perhaps my interpretation is slightly over dramatised, yet none the less, its how I feel.

Now take that and mix it with an (un) healthy, black bags and bloodshot stinging eyed lack of sleep feeling, from a previous night of sofa 'sleeping' and inebriated 'party girls' who seem to morbidly nocturnal.

And you are nearing the undesirable situation I found myself in post Saturday evening.

Having woken to find that 'yes- I really did end up sleeping here last night', I decided I would drive two others in the same situation, back to their homes.

C first and then B, though en route from C's, we just so happened to spot an almighty car boot sale. Now, never one to turn down the chance of an easy hustle or obsessive impulsive 'good buy', myself and B decided it would be worth our Sunday morning whiles to stop and scour the tables and their offerings.

One pound and forty pence later, I find myself walking away with a new chain complete with a 'peace sign' emblem and a 'might as well be brand new' true romance dvd.

Not to mention a Hounds-tooth jacket that B bought for me, the skate board I bought for him and the dark room equipment I managed to hustle for five pounds for B, in exchange for my email so that she (the seller) could contact me regarding which laptop would be best for her.

Back on the road I get a call from home saying that we will be dining as family that evening, so I drop B home after a short stop at his to eat some peanut butter and jam toast and introduce him to Charlie Brooker.

Back home, I am informed that the family meal is no longer going to be taking place which leaves me thinking - "I will go to this exhibition after all"

Leading finally to the point of this entire story..

The Cans Festival.

I drove to Basingstoke, parked up and got on a train to Waterloo. Thanks to British rail and their incredible efficiency towards running a business, there were extremely limited services and those that were running were ludicrously over crowded.
Alas, I arrived in one piece and stepped out into the warmth of the Sundays setting sun and the eternal buzz of London street life.
After a gruling 3 minute walk to Leake Street, I finally arrived.

The atmosphere was an absolute mecca of stunned appreciation and overwhelming inspiration. I was so excited to see it all that I couldn't care less that I had to stand in a queue for ten minutes before being allowed access. (ten minutes not being particularly horrifying, but queues......)
Finally, I was in, or under might perhaps be slightly more apt.
Instantly the camera was let out of the bag and I began to journey through 'history in the making'.

For those that didn't get to marvel at this spectacle and can't quite grasp the sheer insanity from the photos below, then in words it was as follows:

Picture the grimmest of walls entirely reborn with a wash of solidly bold colours, A tunnel of such vast proportions, it can house over a thousand bodies with ease.
Work your way through burnt out cars and hundreds of flashing cameras as you struggle to take in just how intricate this entire ordeal is.
Its eerily low lit but still holds a satisfying feeling of comfort as every spectator sports a smile indicating one - hundred - percent appreciation for everything they see.

At the far end of it all was an area specifically devoted to anyone and everyone that wished to make a donation to the project, the walls were utterly plastered with a complete mash of colours and logos, top to toe.

The attention to detail was awe inspiring, topped off by the security wearing high vis' jackets with the title 'polite' as a parody on 'police'.

To wrap up the entire event, it was, as I titled, A revolution.

Its projects like this that we need in our ever failing world, to bring an inkling of lighthearted feeling back to our miserable lives.

I am yet to find out what the future holds for this exhibition but I can only hope that whichever Borough council is in charge of the area, see's as much in it as I myself and clearly the majority of visitors did.

And of course, a few photos for you to enjoy:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: