Thursday 29 May 2008

And We Converse....

.....As I find myself back in the office, with an hours worth or My Chemical Romance on what seems like a continuous loop, playing in the background on the television, I begin to take myself back a few hours to the heat and heart of last nights activities.

For last night was the first show I had played with a new project that I have been working on.

Her name is Lucy Rose, she is a singer/songwriter and slays the guitar whilst singing with a voice that one just would not expect to be delivered from the size of the body it is coming from.

I met Lucy through my never ending Hustle/Constant mind frame to push myself further and further into this game, we met up three weeks ago and jammed out something crazy and it just clicked, it was so enlightening to be playing something that wasn't supremely fast or heavy, something that I could just groove to and get into a real trance with.

She literally had the very basics of songs which she would perform everywhere and anywhere but we have now built them up and added pace and depth to them, though this is nothing on what is to come. I cannot wait to really get started on recording the CD.

Anyway, Last night was the Debut performance by Andy Borrows of Razorlight Fame, he has made his own solo project, where he has taken words written by Peter Dixon and put them to music.
He provided a most enjoyable performance with appearances from members of Muse, Guillemots, live poetry from Peter himself and of course a final performance involving, to begin with, himself and Johnny Borrell and eventually leading on to Razorlight in full, playing their hits.

In amongst the pews and wood paneled flooring, stood the dressing room, complete with a rider consisting of nothing much more than a manic flood of carbohydrates and condiments to accompany them. Still, never one to turn down free food, I indulged in my fair share.
As I turned from my raid of the tortilla chips and salsa, I caught the eye of Sainsburys savior and 2003 Super 8 film and a scooter, Jamie Oliver.
Having previously visited the 'Jamies Hotdogs' Stand and been most disheartened to find that there was not a vegetarian in mind anywhere at all, I decided I would would take up my displeasure with the man himself.

He was most apologetic and explained that the entire idea had been thrown together in a matter of hours, not to mention the fact that the previous day had been not only his birthday but also the opening night of another of his 'Fifteen' Restaurants.

He went on to explain that he respects the diet of a vegetarian with utmost sincerity and that near enough 60% of his books are made up of vegetarian dishes.

I accepted his apologies and went on to speak about how eye opening his latest shows have been for the entire population. To hear his first hand opinions on it all seemed a whole lot more fulfilling than just to hear an edited watered down version from a TV appearance or magazine article.

Moving on, I have failed to mention mine and Lucy's performance.

Though being informed that, thanks to a decibel limit in within the vicinity, I was only allowed to play with brushes, I worked out an entirely new way to make her songs still hold a kick and groove without loosing to much wholeness.
From what I could tell, it worked. I definitely saw at least a handful of people nodding their heads or tapping their feet, that was good enough for me.
Lucy utterly killed it, having been unquestionably unnerved, she managed to get up and just explode upon the audience, her rapport was instant, and the moment she began to strum, the sense of 'everything is going to be alright' settled in perfectly.
It was over as quickly as it began, which is usually always the case, but from what I could tell, the people loved it, as did we, and thats really all that matters.

I received a text today asking whether I had heard the shout out Edith Bowman had given us on her show, sadly I didn't, though Edith was so incredibly kind hearted and pleasant to talk to, not to mention inspiring, to be running up and down the stage stairs - with child, to introduce acts and announce raffle winners. Warrior.

The rest of the night was spent riding the last train home, which is always a story within itself.

But that is a story for another moment in time.

Eyes Peeled for all that is to come.

xo

No comments: